Short Term Scientific Missions STSM
We invite members to submit applications for Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM).
An STSM is an opportunity for individuals to fulfil the COST Action strategy by way of pursing research, visiting an institution, or attending a workshop or short course. The duration of the STSM is up to 4 weeks. Several members may e.g. apply to visit the institution of another member. All applications need to be submitted on an individual basis via the e-cost website: https://e-services.cost.eu/w3/index.php?id=91
STSM General Process Information
1. Before the STSM
In order to receive a STSM grant, the applicant must:
- Obtain the written agreement of the host institution, before submitting an application;
- Complete the online application form (see https://e‐services.cost.eu/stsm);
- Send the completed file as e‐mail attachment together with the necessary
Assessment and Grant Letter:
- The MC (or STSM Coordinator or Committee) will perform the scientific and budgetary assessment of the applications considering the Action objectives and define an acceptable funding level;
- Once approved by the MC (or STSM Coordinator or Committee), the Grant Holder needs to receive the approval email and then send a grant letter generated from e‐COST to the applicant.
2. After the STSM
The grantee is required to submit a short scientific report to the host institution (for information) and MC Chair (or to the STSM coordinator) for approval within 30 days after the end date of the STSM containing:
- Purpose of the STSM;
- Description of the work carried out during the STSM;
- Description of the main results obtained;
- Future collaboration with the host institution (if applicable);
- Foreseen publications/articles resulting from the STSM (if applicable);
- Confirmation by the host institution of the successful execution of the STSM; Other comments (if any).
The failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days will effectively cancel the grant;
The MC Chair (or the STSM coordinator) is responsible for approving the scientific report and informing the Grant Holder that the STSM has been successfully accomplished;
After receipt of the approval by email, the Grant Holder will execute the payment of the grant.
Further information on STSM’s can be seen in the COST Vademecum Part 1 (COST Actions) which can be downloaded on the COST website at http://www.cost.eu/participate/networking